Simulation and Modeling
The maritime and oil and gas industries operate with ever increasing sophistication in the most extreme environments in the world, and the research, analysis, and design techniques must keep pace. Polytec has the resources and expertise to get the job done.
Polytec’s simulation team is a highly educated group (PhD or MSc) of individuals with background within the fields of mathematics, physics, chemistry and oceanography. We are specialized in multi-physical and Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations and have an extensive track record within technology development, optimization, decision support and risk management.
Using advanced simulation techniques and software, Polytec can predict what’s going to happen before it happens.
Oil & Gas
Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a powerful tool for analysis and design. The technique provides results that would be prohibitively expensive or impossible to obtain with physical testing. Already an important industry tool, CFD use can only increase as more equipment is placed downwell, subsea, or in otherwise harsh and challenging environments.
The benefits of using CFD include:
- Cheaper and more efficient than physical testing, reducing or eliminating the need for prototypes.
- Helping understanding material flow, thermal characteristics and system interactions of processes in a highly visual way.
- Capability of enabling rapid design optimizations and intuition building, impossible with prototyping.
Services We Provide
Polytec has provided CFD and modeling services in many areas of the Oil & Gas industry, including:
- Naturally Convective drying systems operating in hyperbaric conditions.
- Multiphase flow analysis for transport and process pipelines.
- Failure analysis of multiphase flows and equipment during pigging operations.
- Turbulent mixing and vortices.
- Leak and blow-down analysis, Jet acoustics
- Multi-physical modeling of welding processes
- Acoustic and Electromagnetic interactions with Flows
- Thermodynamic Modeling, Phase Diagrams, and Clathrate Formations
Simulations can produce amazing results, but only when conducted by good and knowledgeable people. Polytec has a unique combination of highly skilled scientists and mathematicians, as well as engineers with years of experience in the Oil & Gas industry. We can perform simulations and modeling with creativity and efficiency, usually at much lower cost than our competitors.
Maritime & Subsea
Hydrodynamic analysis is an important application in the marine sector and in industries that deal with equipment that is used in water. Hydrodynamic analysis using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) helps in determining and computing laminar, turbulent, steady state and transient hydrodynamic motions with highest precision.
Services We Provide
Polytec offers advanced flow calculations and CFD related services to the maritime and subsea sector, including:
- Ships, boats, and other sea going vessels
- Flow around vessel hulls and wave formation
- Ship friction, form and wave resistance calculation
- Appendage resistance calculation
- Sea-keeping and added resistance in waves
- Response amplitude operators (RAO’s)
- Structural analysis
- Thruster flow modeling and thruster/hull interactions
- Slam and water impact loading
- Subsea Lifts and Splash Zone Interaction
- Submerged vessels: Drag, stability & optimization
- Added masses for subsea hardware
- Wind and current
- Time-domain simulation of offshore installation
- Investigation of complex fluid structure interactions
Simulation Tools We Use
Our CFD consultants have considerable experience with the world’s best CFD tools such as:
- ANSYS Fluent/ANSYS CFX: General CFD solvers for the most difficult and detailed problems in fluid dynamics
- ANSYS Multiphysics: Advanced modeling involving coupled effects from diverse phenomena such as electromagnetics, fluid dynamics, non-linear structural mechanics, and more.
- ANSYS Aqwa: Hull-wave interactions, boat dynamics, and issues important for solutions in the maritime industry
- OLGA: Pipeline Transport and Multiphase Flows
Other tools we’re using includes::
In the right hands, these tools can solve the most detailed and challenging problems, whether it is fluid dynamics, structural mechanics, or multi-physical processes. And if these tools can’t get the job done, Polytec has the expertise to develop custom solvers and analysis techniques: we can meet any challenge.
Pictures and animations